Monday, September 3, 2012

true To Oneself

I’ve heard it said that as we get older we slowly become more and more like our younger selves.  I believe it was Shakespeare who made some mention of a “second childishness” in later years.  In my case, at present, it isn’t so much ‘childishness’ that I’m feeling, as much as ‘teenage-ish-ness,’ and most of the corresponding complications of that time of life.

You see, friends, my immediate family simply doesn’t understand me.  They don’t know why I like to do what I do.  They don’t have any interest in things that I love.  They just barely fall short of making fun of me for doing what I am so passionate about.  They just … they just … they just don’t get me, man!

I keep telling myself to stop talking to them about things that are damn interesting to me, because I know I’ll only get a blank stare from them, once again.  If I talk too loudly or excitedly about something, they’ll say, ‘calm down!’  I hear pop song lyrics about not being understood, and about trying to find their way in life, and about wondering ‘when will my life begin,’ and I can sing all those lyrics with full emotion because I know exactly what they mean and how they feel.

It seems so unfair to me that only teens or twenty-somethings get the chance to feel lost and angry about how restrictive and unfair are the responsibilities of life.  Their poetry and lyrics and speeches are taken seriously as legitimate gripes.  If someone my age talks the same way, I’m pretty sure they’d be laughed at; no way can someone like me know that kind of confusion, or the feeling of never being taken seriously, never getting a chance to express exactly who they are, and be given respect for it.

And, yeah, I would love to be able to wear the amazing clothes I see young pretty things wear.  And if I did, we all know the reaction I’d get.  It’s just not fair.  But, I digress…

When I was an actual teenager myself, my closest friend was a wonderful girl with the wonderful name of Lauren Canario.  She was a young lady like no other.  Absolutely.  I knew that then.  I know that now.  I sometimes wondered (still do) if she was planted by aliens.  Not that she was strange, just wonderfully unique.  She lived her own life, followed her heart and her talents as few do.  But not at all in an outwardly selfish way.  It was just, ‘this is me, hi, happy to be friends, but, this is me, take it or leave it’ and always with a smile and shy giggle.  She didn’t talk a whole lot, and often felt very shy.  I remember being on the phone with her for hours sometimes, just sitting in silence.  We were that close.

Lauren and I lost ‘touch’ with each other, as often happens after high school.  And she moved to the other side of the country, to New Hampshire.  Why?  Because she’s a very active part of the ‘Free State Project’ there.  In fact, if you google her name, you’ll see videos of when she was literally dragged away by police for not leaving the porch of one of the houses that the city was about to tear down.  They were using the often-abused ‘eminent domain’ excuse, not because they needed the property for a road or a school or anything like that.  The houses were being torn down so that the private company Pfizer could build there.  The reason Lauren was ‘dragged’ was because she refused to assist the police in arresting her.  She did not resist arrest.  She simply did not help them in their carrying out of the job.  She simply did not walk.  Unfortunately, the judge in the case did not agree with her Constitutional logic, and she was sent to jail for six months.  But dear Lauren, she came out smiling.

That’s who she is, and was.  I guess to me she has always been the epitome of being true to oneself.  I still remember telling her about a story I was planning to write, that I had started thinking about, and writing notes about, while we were both still in high school.  And years after we graduated, she would literally dare me to do it, to write the story that I had been dreaming about for so long.  I never did, at that time.  But her encouragement to fulfill my dream--doing what I obviously loved to do, writing--will always stay with me.  I guess, perhaps, I should tell her (if I can ever get in touch again), that I used that exact same story, finally, during ScriptFrenzy last April.  (And, no, she’s not on facebook, as far I know.  Which is totally in keeping with who she is.)  I miss her.

For this first blog, I guess I’m straying all over the place.  Perhaps not.  To me, it all seems to be connected.  Actually, this was written in two parts.  Right in the middle, I had put it aside in order to fix a flat tire on my bike that I discovered yesterday.  Because I didn’t want to spend money on a new tube right now, I cannibalized another bike’s tire; doesn’t really matter, I’m the only one riding bike these days, anyway.  And after the fixing, I took the bike on a test ride around the block, and onto the high school field, doing what I love to do:  riding as fast as I can, bouncing along over the grass, with iPod music playing into my earbuds, and me pretending that I’m riding a horse in a very exciting (perhaps romantic) scene in a story.  It’s the sort of thing I’ve done since childhood.  Maybe that’s just it.  Maybe I’ve just never completely grown up.  I’d like to think that’s the case.  I'm pretty sure I have fewer facial wrinkles than most women my age, anyway.  I credit that from never becoming an official, card-carrying adult.

It’s all about being true to oneself, isn’t it?  Rarely an easy thing to do, but made even more difficult when those immediately around you will not lovingly accept it. 

Perhaps the discussion of the solution to that is the subject for the next blog.  ^_^



“People say,
They say that it’s just a phase,
They tell me to act my age,
Well, I am!”
— Song ‘Perfect Day,’ by Hoku

14 comments:

  1. ~hugs~ I miss you so much, hon! We never had enough chances to get together and really, and I mean -really-, learn each others' hearts desires, did we...

    You know that I know some of those feelings very intimately. I move in and around them, trying to finally be that woman I was denied, and denied to myself, for most of my life.

    Know in your heart that there are some of us who care about what you feel, what you enjoy, and what hurts and upsets you. I am one of those people.

    I would tell you to throw off the shackles of what others think and do what you enjoy. To see you enjoying life at the level you speak of, it would make me smile.

    I am sensing a real fear of doing it, in the face of what others might think, but what do you tell me when I say the same, hmm?

    I would impart the same wisdom upon you that you have upon me.

    The day you told me you did indeed want to meet...it warmed my heart to no end. The last time we got to spend time together face to face, I loved every moment of it.

    ...and it deeply saddened me that our times like that were at an end. That would be nothing compared to the sadness I'd feel if you were to deny yourself the freedom to enjoy that which you desire.

    I love you, hon. Please consider what I've said before shutting yourself off from partaking.

    Syrra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVED reading this. Seriously. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hana. And I'm sorry it took me so long to reply! ^_^ After I did this, I had to kind of pull away from it, to let it settle. You know? Anyway, thanks much for reading. x

      Delete
  3. Great job of opening up yourself on this blog. I'm glad that Hana steered me here. An old adage that never gets too old comes to my mind..."to thy own self be true".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored that you read it, Audrey! And thanks so much for your kind words. Also, so sorry it took me this long to reply back. Hopefully I'll be back at the blog soon! x

      Delete
  4. It's great to have friends who understand you. I'm glad you had Lauren. I've had friends who profoundly influenced me, then they're gone. But I've moved around a LOT, and it's hard to stay in touch that way. Nice job on the blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is great, Kaye. And finding the group of you all (via Andrew! Thanks!) has helped me more than I can say. Thanks so much! x

      Delete
  5. Middle age men, some of them, get to act lost and then they buy new cars and get new wives--blah, blah, blah. But some of us women finally learn to embrace who we are and tp spread our wings.

    My MC, Lily,is a lot like you...and me.

    One of my friends like your Lauren came into my life after college and was only there for a year or two, but what a time. She wouldn't stay in the box, either and I haven't found her on line.

    Love your title and the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, your words are so true and well-said. Luckily we have found our way to spread those wings before it's too late, eh? :)

      I thank you very much for reading, and so glad you enjoyed it. More soon, I hope! ^_^ x

      Delete
  6. Nice piece of writing and I totally agree about returning to the dreams and desires of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew! As I've said before, I owe you SO much. Without your direction to HMPDYWT, my life would be so different and not nearly as wonderful and satisfying as it is now. Bless you! x

      Delete
  7. I understand this feeling, and I suspect most creative people do as well. What we do is considered baffling,pointless, impractical, la la la. But if you don't create, the creativity comes out in funny and sometimes self-destructive ways. You deserve more.

    It sounds to me like what you need is a supportive community in which you can bounce ideas off other people and get the feedback and simply the milieu you need to thrive. Possibly several such communities. I know you have some online; maybe building an in person one would help too. Not so much because you need feedback on writing but because you need a place To Be A Writer. No one person, not even your spouse, can be all things to you - that's why we need friends, coworkers, even God. If your family can't be there for you in these endeavors, you deserve to find many many people who can. BTW, I think this blog is a lovely way of finding such people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ina. Yes, I do think you're right. My life has been rather secluded, being a 'stay-at-home-mom' for all these years. I'm very happy to have been able to do that, but not having much adult communication and banter has narrowed my world a bit. Now that the kids are closer to my way of thinking, their companionship is quite nice. But, you're right, they don't 'speak the same language.' :) I will try to get with others who can support me in my creative leanings. Thanks so much, again. ^_^ x

      Delete